Transponder Upgrade for ADS-B “Out” Compliance
- Retains existing GTX 330 or GTX 33 series transponder
- Adds 1090 MHz ES broadcast capability
- Uses precise WAAS GPS-referenced positioning information from a compatible navigator
- Provides an affordable pathway to meet NextGen airspace requirements
- Enables more accurate, more responsive traffic surveillance for ATC controller
For pilots with existing Garmin GTX 330 panel-mount or GTX 33 remote-mount transponders in their aircraft, the ES upgrade can provide a simple, straightforward solution for meeting ADS-B “Out” equipage requirements to fly in NextGen airspace.
Upgrading Your GTX
Your GTX series transponder may or may not have ES capability already installed. Existing ES transponders may need to have their software updated before they qualify as ADS-B “Out” compliant under TSO-C166b criteria. You can get this update directly from your authorized Garmin dealer. If your transponder is not an ES version, an upgrade is available. This upgrade, from a non-ES transponder to an ES version, will require your dealer to ship the unit back to Garmin for the upgrade.
How to Know If You Have ES?
To understand if your GTX 330 is an ES version, look at the splash screen when your avionics are being powered on. You’ll see either “GTX 330” or “GTX 330 ES” to show which version you have. The same is true of the remote GTX 33.